QUALITY OF LIFE IMPROVEMENT IN MIDDLE-AGED PEOPLE WITH TYPE 2 DIABETES BY MEANS OF PHYSICAL THERAPY
Introduction. Diabetes is one of the most common chronic diseases in the world. Recently, this disease has been considered as a social problem, which is getting more and more urgent. The increase in the incidence and mortality of type 2 diabetes observed in recent decades requires active influence on risk factors, development of preventive measures, optimization of treatment regimens, active use of physical therapy.
Purpose: To investigate the possibility of quality of life improvement in middle-aged people with type 2 diabetes by means of adjustment of physical activity, namely by implementing a specially designed physical therapy program.
Materials and methods: survey (WHOQOL-BREF questionnaire), somatometry (height, weight, circumference), pulsometry, tonometry, dynamometry (handgrip), functional tests (static strength endurance, aerobic endurance), perceived exertion (Borg scale).
An adequate physiotherapy program for middle-aged people with type 2 diabetes that is suitable for treatment and rehabilitation process was proposed. The program was implemented in the University Clinic of Sumy State University.
Discussion: The theoretical part of the paper emphasizes that the use of comprehensive approach only can help normalize carbohydrate metabolism, increase exercise tolerance, reduce body weight, and improve quality of life. During implementation of the experimental part of the study, we contributed to motivation to increase motor activity, implemented a program of physical therapy for middle-aged people with type 2 diabetes and class I-II obesity, which consisted of strength and aerobic exercises of moderate intensity and relaxation exercises. The empirical part of the work proves the program to be the effective. The analysis of the results indicates positive changes in the functional systems of the organism, namely, decrease in waist circumference, hip circumference, neck circumference, significant change in shoulder arc length, increase in ankle circumference, body mass index, waist circumference to hip circumference ratio, significant increase in static strength endurance of abdominal muscles. These changes have a positive effect on a person's quality of life, self-esteem for physical and especially mental health.
2. Tarasenko NA. Diabetes: reality, forecasts, prevention. Modern problems of science and education. 2017;6. Retrieved from: https://www.science-education.ru/ru/article/view?id=27144
3. Tazhieva AE, Reznik VL, Absatarova KS. K voprosu o rasprostranennosti i upravlenii saharnyim diabetom. Vestnik KazNMU. 2016;1:415 416. Retrieved from: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/k-voprosu-o-rasprostranennosti-i-upravlenii-saharnym-diabetom
4. Kryisanov IS. Farmakoekonomika saharnogo diabeta. Farmakoekonomika. Sovremennaya farmakoekonomika i farmakoepidemiologiya. 2009;1: 42-46. Retrieved from: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/farmakoekonomika-saharnogo-diabeta
5. Shishkina NS, Suntsov YuI, Bolotskaya LL, Maksimova VP, Smirnov SV, Dedov II. Rasprostranennost saharnogo diabeta 2 tipa (po dannyim skrininga). Saharnyiy diabet. 2005;2:7-8. Retrieved from: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/rasprostranennost-saharnogo-diabeta-2-tipa-po-dannym-skrininga
6. Carbone S, Del Buono MG, Ozemek C, Lavie CJ Obesity, risk of diabetes and role of physical activity, exercise training and cardiorespiratory fitness. Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2019;Aug 20: S0033-0620(19)30107-0. DOI: 10.1016/j.pcad.2019.08.004.
7. American Diabetes Association. Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus Diabetes Care. 2010 Jan; 33(Suppl 1):62–69. DOI:10.2337/dc10-S062
8. Capodaglio P, Ilieva E, Aydan O, Kiekens C. Evidence-based position paper on physical and rehabilitation Medicine (prM) professional practice for people with obesity and related comorbidities. The European PRM position (uEMs prM Section) Eur J phys rehabil Med. 2017; Aug 53(4):611-24. DOI: 10.23736/s1973-9087.17.04880-8.
9. Levit S, Philippov YuI, Gorelyshev AS Type 2 diabetes mellitus: time to change the concept. Saharnyiy diabet. 2013;(1):91–102 Retrieved from: DMjournal.ru/ru/articles/catalog/2013_1/2013_1_91 -102.
10. Muzika FV, Baranetskiy GG, Vovkanich LS, Grinklv MYa, Maevska SM, Malitskiy AV. Sportivna morfologIya [Sports morphology]. Lviv: Spolom, 2008. 78 p.
11. de Koning, L, Merchant AT, Pogue J, Anand SS. Waist circumference and waist-to-hip ratio as predictors of cardiovascular events: meta-regression analysis of prospective studies. Eur Heart J. 2007;28:850–856. Retrieved from: https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehm026
12. Solodkov AS. Rukovodstvo k prakticheskim zanyatiyam po fiziologii cheloveka [Guide to practical exercises in human physiology] М.: Sovetskiy sport, 2006. 192 p.
13. Mehtihanov ZS. Proteziruyuschaya plastika posleoperatsionnyih gryizh zhivota [Prosthetic repair of postoperative abdominal hernias]. Retrieved from: https://www.litres.ru/zubair-selimovich-me/proteziruuschaya-plastika-posleoperacionnyh-gryzh-zhi/#buy_now_noreg
14. Kaniuka YeV, Pindichev SO. Zastosuvannya shkali IndivIdualnogo spriynyattya fIzichnogo navantazhennya (shkala Borga) pri provedennI protsedur likuvalnoyi gimnastiki Ukrayinskiy visnik mediko-sotsialnoyi ekspertizi: 2015;22:42-45. Retrieved from: http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/ujmse_2015_2_11
15. Yushchuk ND, Maev YV. Hurevych KH. Zdorovyi obraz zhyzny y profylaktyka zabolevanyi [Healthy Living And Disease Prevention] М.: Pero, 2012. 659 p.
16. Development of the World Health Organization WHOQOL-BREF quality of life assessment. The WHOQOL Group. Psychological Medicine. 1998;28:551–8.
17. Yezhova O, Melekhovets O, Sytnyk О, et all. Impact of the multimodal physical program on the endothelium function in diabetic patients with obesity. Acta Balneologica. 2019;LXI;1(155);pp.11-16.
18. Razina AO, Runenko SD, Achkasov EE. The role of physical rehabilitation in the complex management of obesity and overweight correction. Medical and Social Expert Evaluation and Rehabilitation. Russian journal. 2016;19(1):46-53. DOI: 10.18821/1560-9537-2016-19-1-46-53.
19. Ranasinghe C, Hills AP, Constantine GR, Finlayson G, Katulanda P & King NA. Study protocol: a randomised controlled trial of supervised resistance training versus aerobic training in Sri Lankan adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus: SL-DART study. BMC Public Health. 2018;18:176. DOI: 10.1186/s12889-018-5069-6.
20. Osama AJ, Shehab Ael-K. Psychological wellbeing and biochemical modulation in response to weight loss in obese type 2 diabetes patients. Afr Health Sci. 2015. Jun;15(2):503-12. DOI: 10.4314/ahs.v15i2.25.
21. Evan B. Stubbs Jr., Morris A. Fisher, Clara M. Miller, Christine Jelinek, Jolene Butler, Conor McBurney and Eileen G. Collins. Randomized controlled trial of physical exercise in diabetic veterans with length-dependent distal symmetric polyneuropathy. Front. Neurosci. 2019; 13: 51. DOI: 10.3389/fnins.2019.00051