PECULIARITIES OF ONLINE CALCULATORS USAGE DURING DISTANCE LEARNING AT SUMY STATE UNIVERSITY AMONG 5TH YEAR STUDENTS OF MEDICAL INSTITUTE
Introduction. Situation in Ukraine nowadays stimulates teachers to provide distance learning during practical classes. A lot of foreign students are able to do calculation online. It is reasonable to ask them about advantages and disadvantages of such method for further improvement of study process.
The aim is the determination of peculiarities of using online calculators among fifth year medical students.
Materials and Methods. We included 60 fifth year foreign medical students who studied online during 2021 year (the main group) and 54 students who learned internal medicine offline during 2019 (the control group) in our trial. Questionnaires were given to all of them at the last class of internal medicine. Most participants (54) from the main group and all participants from the control group have answered about the peculiarities of using online calculators during the process of study, advantages and disadvantages of such method. The results were analyzed by Microsoft Excel and GraphPad Prism.
Results. During distance learning of internal medicine at Sumy State University, the number of 5th year students who evaluated results online increased from 12 (22,2 %) to 44 (81,5 %). 46 subjects from the main group (85 %) used online calculators for cardiology, 32 (59 %) – for nephrology and 22 (39 %) – for rheumatology. A big percent of participants from the main (81.5 %) group and the control (50 %) group planned to use online calculators in their future professional activities. In the opinion of most participants from the main group (81.5 %), the main benefit was fast evaluation, which helped to save time. About quarter of them (24 %) decided that such method made learning easier and more effective. A fifth part of students (20 %) determined that more accurate calculation was the most important advantage.
Conclusions. During distance learning of internal medicine at Sumy State University, the number of students who did online calculation increased by four times which showed that teachers widely provided the method. In the opinion of majority of foreign students, dependence of internet connection was the main disadvantage of online calculators, while the benefits of this method were: fast, more accurate evaluation, making learning easier and effective.
2. Shevchenko V, Malysh N, Tkachuk-Miroshnychenko O. Distance learning in Ukraine in COVID-19 emergency. Open Learning: The Journal of Open, Distance and e-Learning. 2021Aug. doi: 10.1080/02680513.2021.1967115
3. De Oliveira MMS, Penedo AST, Pereira VS. Distance education: advantages and disadvantages of the point of view of education and society. Dialogia. 2018;29:139−152. doi:10.5585/dialogia.N29.7661
4. Zheng M, Bender D, Lyon C. Online learning during COVID-19 produced equivalent or better student course performance as compared with pre-pandemic: empirical evidence from a school-wide comparative study. BMC Medical Education. 2021;21:495. doi:10.1186/s12909-021-02909-z.
5. Donn J, Scott JA, Binnie V, Bell A. A pilot of a virtual Objective Structured Clinical Examination in dental education. A response to COVID-19. Eur J Dent Educ. 2021;25(3):488−494. doi: 10.1111/eje.12624
6. Sadid-Zadeh R, Wee A, Li R, Somogyi‐Ganss E. Audience and presenter comparison of live web‐based lectures and traditional classroom lectures during the COVID‐19 pandemic. J Prosthodont. 2021;30:412−419. doi: 10.1111/jopr.13301
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.