PECULIARITIES OF POLTAVA STATE MEDICAL UNIVERSITY STUDENTS STRESS RESISTANCE
One of the main competencies of the future doctor is developed stress resistance. High level of stress is characteristic of student’s life, but at the same time, it is favourable for opportunities related to the development of viable strategies and attitudes of the individual. It necessitates the study of stress factors of students and ways of its development.
Objective. The objective of the article is theoretical and experimental study of psychological factors of stress resistance in medical and dental faculties’ students when forming their professional readiness. The sample included 104 people aged 18 to 20 years, who were 2 to 4 course students of medical and dental faculties of Poltava State Medical University.
Methods and materials. The following methods were used in the empirical study: «S. Muddy's stress test», adapted by DA Leontiev and EI Rasskazova, «Test of meaningful life orientations (MLO)» by D. Leontiev and «Boston stress test». The study was conducted in November 2021 remotely, using Google questionnaires. Statistical processing of research results was carried out using Microsoft Excel Office 2010. The statistical significance of difference between groups was determined using the Student's t-test.
Results. As a result of the study, some differences in the features of stress resistance between students of dental and medical faculties were revealed. Students of the medical faculty had a higher level of stress resistance. They were more focused on mastering the profession and professional activity and had higher risk-taking rates than dental faculty students. There were also differences in the value-semantic sphere: existential attitudes were more common among medical students and utilitarian attitudes – among dentists. Based on the obtained results, we conducted training on stress resistance in order to increase the level of stress resistance, which should be considered a way to respond to stressful situations.
2. Troy AS, Wilhelm FH, Shallcross AJ, Mauss LB. Seeing the silver lining cognitive reap-praisal ability moderates the relationship between stress and depressive symptoms. Emotion, 2010; 10:783-795. doi: 10.1037/a0020262.
3. Hancock J, Mattick K. Tolerance of ambiguity and psychological well-being in medical training: A systematic review. Medical education in review. 2019; 125-136. doi: 10.1111/medu.14031
4. Balashov EM. [Psychological structure of volunteer activity as a means of self-realization of students]. Naukovi zapysky. Seriia «Psykholohiia i pedahohika». Tematychne vydannia «Aktualni problemy kohnityvnoi psykholohii» [Scientific notes. Series «Psychology and Pedagogy». Thematic publication «Actual problems of cognitive psychology»]. 2013;24:12-16. (Ukrainian).
5. Ermakova ES. Coping behavior, vitality, stress resistance and depression of university students. Bulletin of the Leningrad State University. 2021; 2:142-159. doi 10.35231/18186653-2021-2-142.
6. Muddy S. Meaning formation in decision-making processes. Psychological Journal. 2005; 26(6): 87-101.
7. Leont'ev DA, Rasskazova EI. Test of viability. Moscow: Meaning, 2006:123. (Russian).
8. Zlyvkov VL, Lukomska SO, Fedan OV. Psychodiagnostics of personality in crisis life situations. Kyiv: Pedagogical thought, 2016: 219. (Ukrainian).
9. Obukhova LF. Age psychology: A textbook for universities. Moscow: Jurayt, 2012: 460. (Russian).
10. Mendeleevich VD. Clinical and medical psychology. Moscow: Medpressinform, 2015: 432. (Russian).
11. Morgun VF. Basics of psychological diagnosis. Kyiv: Word, 2016: 464. (Ukrainian).
12. Leonenko NO. The resilience of students' personality: ethnopsychological aspect. Ekaterinburg: Ural.gos.ped.universitet, 2013:45. (Russian).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.