Cardiovascular pathology is one of the urgent problems of modern medicine, including children. The peculiarity of most cardiovascular diseases in children lies in their prolonged formation, tendency to chronic course, less apparent clinical manifestations in the first stages of the disease.
Objective. In childhood, large-scale clinical epidemiological studies have not yet become widespread. But the available statistics allows analyzing trends and patterns that reflect the features of cardiovascular pathology in childhood, its role in health of the child population, which was the objective of this paper.
Materials and methods. The analysis of medical and statistical documents of 1825 children aged 0–18 years followed up for cardiomyopathies of dysplastic genesis (DGC) in healthcare facilities of Kharkiv. The indications for following up were clinical symptoms and cardiac ultrasound findings during outpatient or inpatient examination in the absence of organic cardiovascular diseases.
Results. Most often, clinical manifestation and, accordingly, diagnosis were observed from 4 to 11 years. Most minor cardiac abnormalities persist over the lifetime, and clinical significance may increase with age, contributing to the development of pathology or becoming a risk factor for cardiac pathology.
Conclusions. The structure of minor cardiac abnormalities among the children of the dispensary group is heterogeneous: prolapse of the mitral valve (mostly isolated), abnormal chords of the left ventricle and open foramen ovale are most frequently recorded; prolapse of other valves and aneurysms of the atrial septum are very rare. Primary diagnosis of minor cardiac abnormalities mainly takes place at age 4 to 11 years. Summarizing the findings, it can be noted that minor cardiac abnormalities have a relatively high detection rate and constitute a large and heterogeneous dispensary monitoring group.
2. Kadurina TI, Gorbunova VN. Dysplaziya spoluchnoyi tkanyny. Kerivnytstvo dlya likariv [Dysplasia of connective tissue. Guide for Doctors]. Spb: ELBI-SPb, 2009. 704 p.
3. Mutafyan OA. Poroky i mali anomaliyi sertsya u ditey ta pidlitkiv [Defects and minor cardiac abnormalities in children and adolescents]. SPb: SPbMAPO Publishing House, 2005. 408 p.
4. Beloziorov YM, Osmanov IM, Magomedova ShM. Prolaps mitralʹnoho klapana u ditey i pidlitkiv [Mitral valve prolapse in children and adolescents]. M: Publishing House "Medpraktika-M", 2009. 132 p.
5. Gnusaev SF. [Syndrome of connective tissue dysplasia in children]. Likuyuchyy likar. 2010; 8:40-44.
6. Tambovtseva VI. [Minor cardiac abnormalities in children and adolescents: the current state of the problem]. Ros. Pediatricheskiy Zhurnal. 2009;3:15-17.
7. Zemtsovsky EV, Malev EG, Lobanov M.Yu. et al. [Minor cardiac abnormalities]. Ros. Kardiologicheskiy Zhurnal. 2012;1:77-78.
8. AHA/ACC 2006 guidelines for the management of patients with valvular heart disease: a report of American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. J. of the American College of Cardiology. 2006;48(3):el-148.
9. Grigoricheva EA, Lukmanova GR, Barysheva VA [Ghent criteria for Marfan syndrome and minor cardiac abnormalities in the youth population]. Ros. Kardiologicheskiy Zhurnal. 2014;5(109).
10. Serezhenko NP, Bolotova VS [On the structure and prevalence of minor cardiac abnormalities]. Zhurnal Anatomii i Histopatolohii. 2013;2(1):53-57.
11. Kenchaish S, Benjamin E, Evans J et al. Epidemiology of left ventricular false tendons: Clinical correlates in the Framinghame Heart Study. J. Am. Soc. Of Echocardiogr. 2009;22(6):739-745.
12. Sharikina AS. [Open foramen ovale – minor cardiac abnormality or defect?] Consilium Medicum. Pediatriya. 2013;1:24-26.
13. Volosovets OP, Kryvopustov SP, Yemets OV. [Infectious endocardium in children: current approaches to diagnosis, treatment and prevention]. Dytyachyy likar. 2013;2(23):5-10.
14. Filonova TA, Savvo VM. [Syndrome of connective tissue dysplasia in children]. Tavriyskyy Medyko-Biolohichnyy Visnyk. 2013;3(63):157-158.
15. Dotsenko NYa, Gerasymenko LV, Boiev SS, Shekhunova IA, Dedova VO. [Manifestations of unclassified connective tissue dysplasia depending on age. Prognosis]. Ukrayinsʹkyy revmatolohichnyy zhurnal. 2012;47(1).
Sharikina AS, Badieva VA. [Abnormal left ventricular chords as a source of arrhythmias: myth or reality?] Pediatriya. 2018;97(3):125-132.