The widespread prevalence of diabetes, the early disability of the patients, and their high mortality have allowed WOH experts to determine the situation with diabetes as an epidemic of non-infectious disease, in which, in addition to carbohydrate disorders, there are deviations in all types of metabolism. The issue of etiotropic treatment of diabetes remains open today. The influence on the pathogenetic links of chronic hyperglycaemia often does not solve the problem of metabolic disorders and, as a result, does not prevent the occurrence of complications. In connection with this, there is a need to include treating with antioxidant and angioprotective properties in the treatment of patients with type I diabetes along with hypoglycaemic drugs. Macro- and microangiopathy, which lead to pneumosclerosis with impaired lung elasticity, serve as morphological evidence of affecting pulmonary structures by products of metabolism impaired as a result of chronic hyperglycemia. In view of this, we conducted a study of the structures of pulmonary tissue, blood vessels, and lymphoid follicles in the context of chronic alloxan hyperglycemia against the background of quercetin use. The drug is widely used in medical practice due to its broad-spectrum action..
The research was conducted involving 72 white laboratory rats of both sexes, aged 1 to 7 months, weighing 170.1 ± 0.13 g. Experimental animals were divided into two subgroups: 1) with aloxane hyperglycemia (36 rats), which served as control and 2) of rats who at the same time used quercetin (36 rats). The above subgroups were divided into six subgroups depending on the duration of the study: the first one – with the term of hyperglycemia 30 days, the second – 60 days, the third – 90 days, the fourth – 120 days, the fifth – with 150 days, the sixth – with the term hyperglycemia 180 days In accordance with a series of animals with experimental hyperglycemia with a duration of 30 to 180 days, the slaughter of rats of the corresponding age using the therapeutic agent was performed by thoracic intubation under the thoracic thiopental-sodium anesthesia. For experimental modeling of hyperglycemia, we used chemical compound alloxan.
As a result of the experiment, it was found that quercetin, due to the properties of reducing the permeability of the vascular wall, contributed to the reduction of the stasis; anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory effect – reduction of size of lymphoid follicles, proliferation of macrophages in comparison with naive animals. The anti-sclerotic effect of quercetin has been shown to slow down the development of fibrosis in the walls of the pulmonary vessels of the muscular type. On the background of his admission, the process of development of microangiopathy in the capillaries of interalveolar membranes was inhibited. But given that the protective properties of quercetin were demonstrated at the end of the experiment, it can be argued that the effect of accumulation is influenced. The analysis of micromorphometric indices in animals treated with quercetin showed a decrease in the intensity of emphysematic reconstruction of pulmonary structures against chronic hyperglycemia. These findings provide the basis for the use of quercetin for the prevention and treatment of initial complications of hyperglycemia as a corrector.
2. Stepanyan IE. [Features of lung diseases in diabetes]. AtmosferA. Pulmonologiya i allergologiya. 2009;1(4):8-10.
3. Sokolov EI, Demidov YuI. [Gas exchange function of the lungs in patients with diabetes mellitus]. Terapevticheskiy arhiv. 2008; 80(1):63-66.
4. Rekha J, Madhavi J, Rane. Diabetic Microvascular Disease and Pulmonary Fibrosis: The Contribution of Platelets and Systemic Inflammation International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2016;17(1):1-13.
5. Nuraliev YuN. [The efficacy of quercetin in alloxan diabetes]. Eksperimentalnaya i klinicheskaya farmakologiya. 1992;55(1):42-44.
6. Zaychenko AV, Bryuhanova TA. [Morphological study of the lungs of guinea pigs after the prophylactic administration of homeopathic granules of cloclorin against the background of bronchial obstruction syndrome]. Nauchnyie vedomosti. 2013;25(168):202-205.
7. Stechishin IP, Posohova KA. [An effective drug with quercetin for experimental cerebral diabetes]. FarmakologIya ta lIkarska toksikologIya. 2014;6(41):66-71.